About the Job
NSSRA offers ten Gator Athletics programs; Basketball, Bocce, Bowling, Golf, Powerlifting, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track & Field and Volleyball. Gator Athletics programs are competitive in nature and active in Illinois Therapeutic Recreation Section competitions and Special Olympics games. Becoming a Gator Coach, Referee or Umpire for one or more of these sports is a great way to contribute your talents, learn new job skills and build meaningful relationships.
As a Gator Coach, you are responsible for the following tasks:
- Actively engage and supervise individuals with disabilities in weekly practices, weekend tournaments, and state games if applicable. (State games may require overnight trips).
- Ensure the safety of participants during recreation events, transportation, transition times, etc.
- Communicate professionally and consistently with participants, parents, fellow staff, and the general public when needed.
- Submit timely reports, evaluations, and time sheets, maintaining accurate and complete records.
- Complete Special Olympics paperwork to become a registered coach. Includes background check, Protective Behaviors and Concussion Awareness training.
- Knowledge in specific Gator sports is preferred.
- Fulfill other duties as assigned.
As a referee/umpire, you are responsible for the following tasks:
- Referee/Umpire sport specific games and tournaments, as scheduled.
- Certified by the IHSA or a National Governing Body in the specific sport.