Our internship is designed for students majoring in Therapeutic Recreation, runs 14 consecutive weeks, and usually starts a few weeks before the start of our seasonal programs. Interns are exposed to all areas of agency operations, from direct program leadership to fundraising and marketing. The schedule is usually Tuesday through Saturday with Sunday and Mondays off. Within the 5 day work week, interns perform a variety of tasks that meet the requirements of NCTRC.
Interns will create, plan, implement, lead and evaluate recreation programs for children, teens, and adults with disabilities. Interns are also scheduled to observe populations that are not part of program leadership duties. Pay is minimum wage for direct program time. This usually works out to about 20 hours a week, a competitive amount throughout SRAs. The remaining 20 hours per week are spent completing classwork, completing internal/office paperwork, job searching, etc. Successful interns will be prepared to interview for full-time, entry-level positions at Special Recreation Associations and similar settings. Therapeutic Recreation interns are supervised by a Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS).
- Currently be a senior in the process of obtaining a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in therapeutic recreation, special education, adaptive physical education or a related field and working to complete NCTRC requirements.
- Have knowledge of the recreation needs of people with disabilities.
- Demonstrate strong academic performance and provide references from a university internship supervisor.
- Desire to learn and grow as a professional and work in a team-oriented environment.
Annual Application Timeline for Fall Internships
- Application opens: Monday, March 28
- Application deadline: Friday, April 22
- Offers begin: April 2022
For more information or with questions, please contact Becca Luecke, Recreation Manager, at (847) 509-9400 x6823 or email@example.com.