Sometimes the best option for a child, teen or adult with special needs is to remain in their own community’s recreation programming, but with a buddy to tag along. Those buddies (“Inclusion companions”) are available to support participants as an affirming and encouraging presence within their own community’s program or camp.
That’s where we come in. Inclusion Services are available to participants of programs offered within NSSRA’s thirteen partner communities at no additional cost to the family. Once a need has been identified and communicated to one of our partner agencies, a request for Inclusion support is submitted, and we take it from there.
NSSRA’s Inclusion Services also include, when necessary, staff training, program modifications/adaptations, modified equipment and program observations.
Reasons to Request Inclusion Services
- A parent or family member recognizes that a participant would benefit from additional support in a partner agency program.
- Partner agency staff identifies a need for additional support, for safety and programmatic reasons, and communicates this need to the family.
Requesting Inclusion Services
When registering for a program with one of NSSRA’s partner agencies:
- Mark the accommodation section of the registration form.
- Once the registration form is submitted, the partner agency will contact the family to discuss the type of Inclusion support needed for the participant
- The partner agency will provide NSSRA with an Inclusion request that contains both program and participant information
- The family is then contacted by NSSRA to further discuss the needs of the participant and get input on the type of support required
- NSSRA will work with the partner agency to put the necessary Inclusion accommodations in place for participation in the desired program(s)
- Communication between NSSRA, partner agency staff, and the family continues throughout the Inclusion process
For Additional Information
Each of NSSRA’s partner agencies has a contact at its agency who is available to answer questions regarding Inclusion.
Click here to find your community’s contact: Inclusion Contacts
Please contact this person to see if Inclusion is the right choice for you or someone you care about.
Click here to download our “Community Partnerships: Inclusion” brochure.
With any other questions, contact Meggan Davies, Recreation Manager for Inclusion, at
(847) 509-9400 x6828 or firstname.lastname@example.org.